ETHICS / SUSTAINABILITY
READ MORE ABOUT OUR PRACTICES, ON-GOING INITIATIVES, AND FUTURE EFFORTS. WE DON'T WORK WITH ANY FACTORIES DIRECTLY, BUT WE DO WORK WITH A LOT OF SUSTAINABILITY-FOCUSED PARTNERS THAT ARE LINKED BELOW. ☻
_FUTURE-MINDED MINORITY, IMMIGRANT, WOMAN OWNED BUSINESS
As a minority, woman-owned independent business, we aim to champion brands that not only put principles above profit, but are also similarly founded by members of marginalized communities.
We look to carry innovative brands that are using recycled or low-impact / natural materials in their products and that are conscious about their impact on the planet, people, and animals. Our beauty collection is entirely non-toxic, vegan, and cruelty-free. We value future minded brand partners that are actively seeking ways to do less harm.
_WE ARE 1% FOR THE PLANET MEMBERS
_AS AN E-COMMERCE COMPANY, PACKAGING IS VERY IMPORTANT TO US:
- All of our print materials are 100% recycled or at the very least, recyclable themselves.
- We are transitioning to paper-based, recyclable stickers that are 100% PVC-free.
- We reuse packaging where we can, otherwise we use 100% recycled protective plastic bags, mailers, paper, and envelopes, and recyclable, zero waste shipping labels all from EcoEnclose.
- We mostly use cardboard boxes for shipping (which are made from recycled content) but we also have compostable mailers and acid-free, FSC certified, soy ink printed tissue paper from No Issue.
- We've illustrated much of our physical touch points in order to give people incentive to reuse their packaging: re-gifting it, or hanging it up as art. We also encourage re-use on the inside of our box by providing examples for customers.
_ASTRONOMY CLUB, OUR IN-HOUSE MERCH
Our in-house line of Astronomy Club tees will feature 100% recycled cotton trash tees from Everybody.World or 100% organic cotton tees which don't use harmful chemicals, making them gentler on the skin and kinder to the environment.
We aim make the shop virgin polyester free to lower micro-plastic pollution. However, we are starting to grow a vintage / thrifted section on the site, which will most likely still have plastic-based fabrics.
In an effort to encourage re-use of previously-loved fashion we will soon be carrying Guppyfriend laundry bags and urging our customers to use these when washing synthetic fabrics.